Monday, October 18, 2010

Pros and Cons of Writing Family History

I emailed my siblings yesterday to ask about their growing up Christmas memories as I want to compile a small "book" about holidays, the house we grew up in, etc. I also asked if my father, who died when I was young, had ever worn a hat. I had been watching a tv program about unseen footage of JFK and noticed that a lot of the men were wearing hats in 1963 and that prompted me to wonder about Dad.

I've received two responses so far. One sibling says that he will jot down some things in the next few days and that Dad sometimes wore a hat - not often, but when he did it was one like Al Capone's. So far, so good :) That would be one of the pros.  I had to Google images of Al Capone to see what that might look like.  Here's one photo:


Al Capone's Snazzy Hat

The second sibling emailed that she didn't have any good memories of Christmas and then related a story about a gift gone bad from when she was 15 or 16. So, I guess I won't be including that story :)  That would be one of the cons.

Hopefully, I'll hear from the other three and be able to put something together. In the meantime, I'll start writing my own memories so they are ready to insert when the time comes. Maybe I'll read them to my own grandchildren around Christmas time. I bet they'll like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment